Wednesday 27 June 2012

A Timeless Piece


Today I finally wanted to get around to making my vintage pocket-watch that I had bought several months ago and at the time university and exams kind of got in the way. Anyway after a little inspiration from a blog called Between the Sheets. I decided to get going.
This pocket watch is by Tim Holtz and is probably the best one out there and if you shop around you can definitely get a good price, I bought mine from Craft Obsessions for £6.50 and I think it is still at that price now. Before I started with the inside layout and what I would include I was inspired by Between the Sheets blog to alcohol ink the outside of the pocket watch and then apply clear crackle paint. A close up of the effect is below:



I think this effect really gives the watch a vintage antique look. I used Rust and Terra Cotta alcohol ink and then applied a layer of Rock Candy crackle paint and once that is dry I applied another layer of alcohol inks with a little bit of Black Soot distress ink to reveal the cracks a bit more. I also alcohol inked the back of the watch as well. The crackle paint took about 30-40 minutes to dry and I would recommend leaving it well alone so that the cracks appear really well.

I made the layout on the inside from small scraps of paper (this is when your scrap paper drawer comes in handy!) and then added bits of lace and a crown from a brad. When you buy the Tim Holtz pocket watch, the cardboard packaging has a circle template that fits inside the pocket watch so you don't have to worry about trying to cut a circle to the right size. Tim thinks of everything!

To finish off the pocket watch I added some jewellery bits and ribbon and then used some of Tim's ball and chain which can be cut to any length so you could wear it as a necklace or make it into a small key chain. I think this would make a good workshop so watch this space for future details.......




No comments :

Post a Comment